Thursday, July 06, 2006

white on white (and a little gray)

The American Folk Art Museum in Manhattan is having an exhibit called White on White (and a little gray), that I am longing to see. Though I naturally gravitate towards rich, saturated colors -- dusty cocoas and indigos and apricots and guava and shrimp pinks -- the New England girl in me somehow is also very attracted to the most spartan, neoclassical of palates...white enamelware and unbleached linen and bare, wide-planked wooden floors.




These corbels, (from the wonderful architectural salvage store Nor'East) belong to that spartan side... I just love them and wonder what one could do with them if one doesn't happen to have a building in need of structural support! They remind me of the pieces of white coral that adorn people's coffee tables and dressers in magazines... they also remind me of Georgia O'Keeffe-esque skulls ... Maybe they would look elegant on a console, proudly retired to the realm of the decorative?

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger get zapped said...

Love the beauty throughout your blog and the wonderful correlation between the corbels and O'Keefe's painting.

4:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home