Wednesday, January 03, 2007

unlikely fusion: porcelain and sea sponge make a startling vessel for flowers

oh, the possibilities offered by this oddly enchanting porcelain natural-sponge vase... how gorgeous would it be with soft, fluttery peonies, drooping over its rough sides?

According to Poaa's website, Marcel Wanders's design is made by sinking real sponges into fluid porcelain; in the kiln, the sponges burn away, leaving a perfect copy. Not crazy about the lip of the vase, but other than that, I am a fool in love for this design sponge. Would love to see a version made into a table lamp.

via the style files, a fun new blog i just discovered.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Phoebe,

Isn't that sponge vase gorgeous?! I love nature inspired designs.
Thanks for mentioning my blog the style files.

I love you blog and will make it one of my daily stops (and add you to my blogroll).

Warm regards,
Danielle

12:02 PM  
Blogger J said...

That vase is seriously beautiful. Great texture. I've seen it in shops before, and always wondered how it was made. Now I know! Thanks!

3:52 AM  
Blogger Max Loew said...

This was the first image I saw on your blog. I have never seen any thing like it before!

12:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home