Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Tagged?!

Ok, 6 weird things about myself? :) Got tagged recently by Imelda and Terramia, so... here goes:



6. I have synaesthesia. And no, that's not an STD! Synaesthesia for some people means that they smell music, or hear tastes.. for me I just have a color 'value' for every letter and number. 1 is white, 2 is yellow, 3 is blue, etc. For instance, I dislike the American spelling of grAy with an A because for me 'a' is RED and so the English spelling is prettier-- grEy with an E because for me E is blueish.



5. Does this count?-- my lovely late grandmother was friends with Eva Zeisel-- they lived in the same apartment building in NYC and were both artists and had kids the same age.

4. When I was growing up my bro and I weren't allowed to watch TV, eat white bread or "sugar" cereals; I couldn't get my ears pierced until I was 12 and I wasn't allowed to see a PG-13 movie until I was 13!!On the flipside, however, I started sneaking my mom's makeup from her bathroom and wearing it to school in 5th grade, and when she found out, all she said was, "as long as I can't tell you're wearing it, it's fine." This remains the best make-up lesson I've ever received.

3. I hyperventilate when I get the new issue of Domino in the mail.


2. My main man is from India and a very strict kind of vegetarian, which is a bit of a problem considering I am a New England girl through and through, and I love seafood. But I guessssssss I love him more so we'll see what happens. !Mujhe tumse pyar hai, d'ling!

1. I am seriously unathletic except for one moment in my life: at Oxford on "junior year abroad" I rowed [2-seat] the entire year (yes, writing papers all night, crew at 6am, and going to bed after practice) and got really (for me) muscle-y. When my friend from high school, Regine Jean-Charles, saw me in Paris that spring, she looked my newly-athletic body up and down and said, "Phoeeeebeeee! you've gotten so... ROBUST!" :)

Who's next??
I pick: dear ada; hoping for happy accidents; design agent; designer's library; love made visible, and giornale nuovo! c'mon... don't be shy!

(images from top via: littlebirds; npr; 80s tees; domino's b&w living room gallery; india tourism travel; and upenn's photo archives.)

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger Heather Moore said...

I'm impressed! You managed to deal with being tagged with much better grace than I could muster. Well done!

4:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You and Hockney and Kandinsky! In good company with the synesthetes. I think it's a terrifically fun problem to have to cope with.

3:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooh and I'm in the same boat on No. 4. Add to that list Campbell's chicken noodle soup, caffeinated soda and shaving my legs. All a no-go. The last one might not have mattered were I not a gymnast.

3:57 PM  
Blogger ** Terramia ** said...

Fascinating! I agree with Heather... mucho grace a in time of maximum vulnerability! (:

2:16 PM  
Blogger Phoebe said...

thanks heather and terramia!

e-- why no campbell's chicken soup? :) too bad we didn't know each other as tweens-- we could have commiserated... :)

3:38 PM  
Blogger IMEDAGOZE said...

impressive lists, phoebe! ;-) Thanks for playing along.

5:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fantastic!

Would also add to your list that you were once a "spiral staircase tower girl" at a Cambridge castle.

3:43 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

THANKS so much for writing about your synethsasia, I have been trying to figure out a way to explain it to people my whole life! I also see A as red, and math I do in my head completely based on color!
Thanks for your great posts too!

11:37 AM  
Blogger Phoebe said...

so welcome, michelle! x p

6:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home