Tuesday, November 28, 2006

recycled design DIY: affordable salvaged wood slabs in the rough

Continuing our look at recycled design, I couldn't pass this up. Urban Tree Salvage is a Canadian company that salvages trees from cities that would otherwise be put in the chipper or burnt. The good news: they sell their beautiful eco-furniture on Vivavi.....
And the better news?
you can buy their product unfinished for very affordable prices-- starting from around $200. And look of the size of them: do you see the cute little hands holding up this wooden slab? Most slabs are available with a "live" edge (with bark) and the smaller the slab, the better the chances that both sides can come with live sides. (I only wish there were more of these companies-- particularly ones in the Northeast!)

First image courtesy of BDDW.

Labels: , , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger amiga said...

that is cool! i once saw a table in italy made from a slab of sequoia. so ancient, so beautiful. in a modern twist, it reminds me a little of: http://www.miniot.com/miniot/index.htm

4:00 PM  
Blogger Phoebe said...

cute ipod covers, amiga! but why so $$? xx p

4:47 PM  
Blogger Lena said...

gorgeous...

6:22 PM  
Anonymous elisabeth said...

Thank you, Miss Phoebe! This is exactly what I've been looking for -- for the apartment and the new studio. Pearl and I are moving to the South End very soon!

11:26 AM  
Anonymous elisabeth said...

Hi, me again. I did find Staples Cabinet Makers recently and they're in Plainville. I'm not sure what the pricing is like but the wood (and furniture) is so cool.
http://www.staplescabinetmakers.com/
I'll let you know what I find out...

11:40 AM  
Blogger Phoebe said...

e, that staples company looks like a terrific find! thanks so much, and keep me posted on this one!

xp

12:19 PM  
Blogger Sheri Burhoe said...

Great wood slabs etc. I have a friend here in Canada that could do that for me which I was already thinking about so, I found your entry quite interesting - It reminded me of one of the things I'd like to do somtime in the hopefully near future.

8:54 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

My coffee table is made from an irregular log. It is from a company called Tree Forms in Ithaca, NY. Not sure if it is even still there?

My parents got the table from their parents. I learned to walk by wabbling around that coffee table. My parents put the table away, seeing it as too retro and granola-ish I think.

I've had the coffee table in my apartment since college. I had some cracks fixed and a new leg made. I love it. What's old is new again.

I'd like to find a way to orient more of my apartment to match up to this table. It's rustic but still urban.

11:54 AM  
Blogger amina said...

Amongst all the well known furniture solution providers, Momi Incl, has carved out a niche for itself on account of its innovative as well as aesthetic design and quality embedded furniture solutions. Further, the office furniture (mobili per ufficio), equipped walls etc provided by http://www.momi.it are designed by utilizing cutting edge technologies that has made Momi a highly sought after furniture solution provider.

1:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home