Tuesday, November 07, 2006

korean pattern design: traditional wrapping cloths





These are all examples of "chogakpo," or patchwork Korean wrapping cloths, also known as patchwork "pojagi." I have a great book of these (Traditional Korean Wrapping Cloths, published in 1990 by The Museum of Korean Embroidery), and I wanted to share some of them with you because I love the insanely brilliant patterning of rectangular shapes... and the simple, often monochrome palate. The designs are made of hemp and silk.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger A Life Inspired said...

Your site is full of beauty and interesting items. Keep inspriring us!

6:33 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love pojagi. I studied with Chunghie Lee at RISD.

11:45 AM  
Blogger Phoebe said...

amy, i hadn't heard of chunghie lee, but i cannot tell you how much i loved what i saw from her gorgeous pojagi-style website. WOW. thanks for the heads' up... i'd love to hear more about your experiences working with her... email me? xx p

1:34 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

I've never heard about this kind of fabric, but it reminds me so much of the tiles I picked for my kitchen and the Marimekko fabric I used. I wonder if this was the source of their inspiration? I looked around on ebay and Froogle to see if I might be able to buy a scrap of this fabric, but it seems like it's not readily available?

11:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home